Back to Top
Sara Blakely, President of Spanx
- Sara Blakely is the founder and owner of the shapewear brand Spanx, which sells undergarments, leggings, swimwear and maternity wear in over 50 countries.
- A one-time door-to-door fax machine salesperson, Blakely made a makeshift undergarment using pantyhose to wear under white slacks.
- She initially shilled her new invention, which became the shapewear brand Spanx, on the sales floor at various Neiman Marcus stores.
- While Spanx is a celebrity favorite, Blakely is becoming a celebrity herself. She is a guest judge on ‘Shark Tank and had a cameo in ‘Billions.’
- The coronavirus pandemic has decimated the live events and galas industry, leading to a drop in demand for shapewear.